Monday, October 11, 2010
Yea, OK, I broke a rule of class today. No stereotypes. I should have said "Those men on the video can't dance." It is a silly stereotype, but the ones meant by the rules were the ones that hurt and breed hate. I am pleasantly surprised the class went so smoothly as it did. There was a lot of honest thoughts and opinions on such a touchy and personal subject such as faith, and why it matters most in so many people's lives.



However, I would guess at least half the people in the class were not particularly religious or even Atheists. I would have liked to see their creations and thoughts on what mattered most to them. I will also try to find that movie and watch the rest of it.

My thoughts on it: even before I saw this documentary (if you can really call it that?) is that eventually science and religion will have to come together to progress. Why do I say this? It's kind of like what happened with physics. Look up String Theory. It brought together two violently opposite views of physics, quantum mechanics and general relativity. They seemed just as uncompilable as religion and science, oil and water, yet they make much more sense when tied together. What religion is lacking, science can explain, and vice versa.

Why not let scientists go down this path? I understand the fear of religious institutions getting involved and manipulating scientific work, but there's that word again... fear. I'm sure that there is some way legitimate scientists can explore things that can't be explained by conventional science.

While writing a paper for a writing class, I did some research into the roots of Western science, and guess what? It came from Catholicism during the middle ages. The church was the most powerful institution at that time, and the only one with the ability to pursue science. They didn't do it for the sake of science, but they thought to better understand the world around them, they could better understand God. They studied the stars and time of day to know when to celebrate certain holidays and when to pray. Even scientists up to modern times claim their scholarly pursuits were based on the understanding of God.

My question is: what are the scientists holding the stick so afraid of?

0 comments:

Follow Dara on her long and insane journey though Seeing Sideways. Will she ever find the elusive Ninja Egg? Stay tuned to find out.

About Me

Followers

Powered by Blogger.