Sunday, October 3, 2010
Since I was a nub and thought presentations were this week, I don't have the luxury to process the class reactions in this blog. However, I will go over why I think most will have some sort of discomforting reaction.

Fear comes in two parts. One fear we can't control, it's a physical reaction. The other side to fear is one that we create ourselves, in our minds from irrationalities. For example, when confronted by a lion face to face, your fight or flight (fear) kicks in. If you're in the middle of class and think about getting attacked by a lion because you heard one escaped from the Zoo, you will have some anxiety that can lead to fear taking over (even though there's no real threat).



What I choose to focus on is our self created fears. Most rational people know that bugs and bacteria are bad. However, I am betting that those people don't know that there are some bugs and bacteria that are benign or even beneficial and can be found all over our bodies at any given time.

I will only tell them the statistics of how many bugs and bacteria live on the average person. Their initial thoughts should be that they need to somehow 'disinfect' themselves and leave them feeling yucky. After I have went though explaining you can't get rid of them, I will add that you shouldn't try to get rid of them and explain what e few does.

People should be conflicted (as I was) about not being able to control foreign organic organisms on and in their bodies.

Facts: There are more bacteria in and on a body than there are cells in the body, around 100 trillion microbes vs 10 trillion cells.

The majority of these microbes can be found in the mouth, eyes, private areas and stomach.


Even after a good wash there are over one million bacteria present on every square centimeter of your skin.
source: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/beneficial-bacteria-to-humans.html

After the presentation:

I don't believe my presentation was as effective it could have been. Maybe a bit more hyping up was called for, a bit more facts and statistics. I was glad to see some people react when I was talking about how many microbes are on you at any given time. I was hoping to see people take out some hand sanitizer (that's what I would have done).

0 comments:

Follow Dara on her long and insane journey though Seeing Sideways. Will she ever find the elusive Ninja Egg? Stay tuned to find out.

About Me

Followers

Powered by Blogger.