Monday, November 15, 2010
I really enjoyed seeing everyone's projects. It does show their thought process and how they see themselves. I am still working on my project on this subject and going to present it as my last project. Every week it seems like it evolves into something better. 

My project involves trees. They are the best metaphor I can think of when it comes to a person's identity. I do admit I think about this very thing quite often, especially when I'm outside (yes I know I am weird). There are 3 main parts of a tree. The roots, trunk and branches/leaves. I think of the roots as the dark/negative aspect of a person, and the top branches and leaves the light/positive. The trunk is who that person is as a whole, as it connects the roots and and branches.

Just because the roots are unsightly and associated with dark and negative energy, they are essential for the tree to live. They are underground, out of sight as most people tend to bury their insecurities, past mistakes and generally ignore their darker side. Just because something is dark or hidden doesn't make it bad. Just because something appears to be good doesn't make it so. 

At first glance it seems easy to place each aspect of human behavior. Good deeds and ideas are put at the top and bad thoughts and actions are put underground. What about helping the poor to boost your ego/image? Lying to someone to not hurt their feelings? 

It makes sense to me that people live with both aspects all the time, it's just a matter of what they choose to show. The entire tree is not the trunk and leaves, but for some reason when we think of a tree that's all we choose to see. 

My challenge is how to express this in a physical medium.

0 comments:

Follow Dara on her long and insane journey though Seeing Sideways. Will she ever find the elusive Ninja Egg? Stay tuned to find out.

About Me

Followers

Powered by Blogger.